[Towertalk] Re: Coax Opinions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Coax Opinions
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 07:52:06 -0400
At 10:26 PM 8/7/02 -0500, Kelly Taylor wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>On a related question: when is coax old? Aside from doing loss analysis
>measurements, what signs are there that coax that appears OK is past its
>prime? How often do you replace coax? Do you replace coax on a given
>schedule, with or without signs of trouble?

For whatever it's worth, I measured the loss in my main run of CATV
hardline right after it was installed, as well as the SWRS of the various
antennas connected to it with pigtails of flexible coax.  I just look out
for any change in those values.  At the point when I see one, within the
accuracy of my simple equipment, I'd assume the coax or a connector was to
blame (the coax if gradual, a connector if abrupt).

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at
www.pvrc.org