[Towertalk] What is the diffrence?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] What is the diffrence?
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:15:51 -0400
After countless hours of modeling yagis with K6STI software my
conclusion was to go with Lawson's odd mult of a quarter wavelength for
a boom, yes...and if you are someone who only operates one end of the
band go with fewer elements (4) versus more (5 or 6) - very little
difference in gain but noticeable increase in bandwidth of low SWR with
the additional elements...hence, I have a lot of home brew 4 element
yagis!  Also - unless you are a DXer, longer booms have narrower
patterns and as such are more critical about their aiming...sometimes
signals come in skewed paths and a 6 element yagi will not hear them
whereas the 4 element with its wider lobe will...this is all real life
observation - I am not an Engineer...for contesting 4 elements is gud.

OJ