[Towertalk] Rotator loops to wrap coax around mast to prevent snagging

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rotator loops to wrap coax around mast to prevent snagging
From: n1lo@hotmail.com (Mark .)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:19:57 -0400
  I implemented Steve's solution on my tower and several others I have
worked on for friends.
  I like to make 3 full turns 8 to 12" diameter. This works especially well
if you have the flat top adaptor, as the turns just sit there on the plate
and barely move.
  I also unitize the cables by taping them together every 6 inches with
Scotch super 33 or 88 tape (Don't tape the turns together, just the cables
to themselves).

--...MARK_N1LO...--

<< Can you wind the coax + Ctrl cable around the mast like a telephone cord
so that it unwinds when the rotor is turned the opposite direction?

   Yes. This is the alternative to the typical big rotation loop (that can
hook on tower bits)...snip... Don't wrap the cables tightly around the mast
- just have 2-3 lazy loops of cables around the mast and it'll be just fine.
Cheers, Steve K7LXC >>