[Towertalk] Inverted L update

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Inverted L update
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:02:26 EDT
Your readings are awesome because the loss of your ground system is so high.
Add radials and you'll see the SWR go up.  Gasping, one might think they are
messing up the antenna.  In reality, you are improving it to whereas the true
impedence mismatch between the 50 ohm feedline and the antenna become clear
as your ground system improves.   I had the same expereince and used a Amidon
UNUN to match the antenna to the feedline.  I have around 100 1/4 wave
radials now on my Inv L.  Without the UNUN, my SWR is well over  4:1.  Using
it, I'm resonant flat  around 1.825MHz with a 2:1 bandwidth of about
50-60KHz.

73  Paul  N0AH