[Towertalk] Tower Building 201

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower Building 201
From: wendell@wyly.org (Wendell Wyly W5FL)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 17:38:44 -0500
Move the tower away from the house and guy it like Rohn recommends.

Assemble the tower completely on the ground, mark it carefully, and take it
apart.  Leave the first and second section assembled and put them in the
hole, get it plumb using temporary guys, and pour your concrete. I prefer to
weld the rebar to a ground rod and bring that out the top of the concrete as
well as drive a ground rod near each tower leg after the concrete is in
place.  Now stack the remaining 4 sections with a Rohn gin pole.  Depending
on your location it will take 2 (or 3) sets of guys with 3 (or 4) per set
depending on whether you can guy on 120 degree angles (or 90 degree angles).
The gravel in the hole is important for draining the legs (so they won't
freeze) and being sure that the legs are not plugged is also important.

Your tower loading is low, but the tower should be build for what you may
want to put on it in the future.

60 feet of Rohn 25 on a house bracket is a disaster waiting to happen!
Houses are poorly made for structural supports without considerable beefing
up at the bracket.  I would not like to climb on 30 feet of Rohn 25 above a
house bracket and it won't support much antenna!