[Towertalk] Inverted L - Thanks for the Help.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Inverted L - Thanks for the Help.
From: jim@kc4hw.net (Jim Johnson)
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:58:18 -0400
Wanted to thank each of you for information and help on my post about
the inverted L antenna.  Got some good information from each of you.

That is the nice thing about the Tower Talk reflector is that everyone is so
helpful.  Even if one sometimes ask dumb questions...

Thanks again.

PS:  For those others that may not know.  The Inverted L is basically a
1/4 WL for the given frequency.  However, everyone recommend cutting
it a little long and trimming it back... allway good advice.  The example
given in the Low Band DXing that is 79' long is for a 5/8 WL version
which is really what confused me.  The longer version may give a better
impediance match at the feed point.    Additionally, I concluded from the
information received that it really does not make any difference which
direction the horizontal element goes.  I am going to try a version of this
antenna out this fall, basically by using a strip down butternut vertical with
an additional length of wire attached to the upper tip and about 3 elevated
radial covering from the Northeast to the Northwest.  BTW my radials
may have to be coiled on a PVC form to make them fit in the yard...

Anyway, thanks again for all the help...

Jim Johnson, Melbourne, Florida
jim@kc4hw.net - http://www.kc4hw.net
DXCluster RF Connection: 144.95
Telnet://kc4hw.homelinux.net:8000