[Towertalk] Connectors for CATV hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Connectors for CATV hardline
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 02:03:46 -0400
Buy a bunch of double-barrel female coax connectors. Buy a CATV coring tool
for around $20-30. Buy a box of all-stainless hose clamps to fit the hardline.

Use a knife to remove a couple of inches of the outside jacket. If the
hardline is potted for burial, use some paint thinner to remove the sticky
gunk. Use the coring tool to remove about 3/4 inch of the foam insulation.
(if you have more than one of these to do, the coring tool is well worth
the price to save time and avoid gouging your fingers with other methods).

Use a hacksaw or diagonal cutters to make four equally spaced cuts in the
aluminum jacket, to a depth of 3/4 inch or so.

Slip the double-barrel connector onto the hardline. The hardline center
conductor is a nice snug fit in the connector.

Use the hose clamp to clamp the slit aluminum jacket tightly to the
threaded area of the connector, and your el-cheapo hardline connector is
finished.

Connect the PL259 of your coax jumper to the other end, and tape and
weatherize as necessary.

You can also use this method to splice two pieces of hardline together.

73/Jon AA1K
Felton, Delaware