[Towertalk] Mast Coupler

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Mast Coupler
From: k3nd@yahoo.com (GALE STEWARD)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:13:52 -0700 (PDT)
A bunch of years ago, there was an article in
QST/CQ/HR (?) written by someone that had adapted an
auto overload spring (the ones that get installed over
the rear shock absorbers) as a mast "torque absorber".
As I recall, the tower had two thrust bearings to keep
the mast centered. The rotator was mounted several
feet below the lower bearing. The lower end of the
mast was slipped into one end of the spring and tack
welded in several places. A short length of steel pipe
was slipped into the lower end of the spring and also
welded. The lower end of this short mast was clamped
in the rotator. The spring in torsion absorbs some of
the start/stop and wind gust forces. Have never seen
anyone that actually used it but it looked like a
pretty good idea. FYI...

73, Stew K3ND

--- K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
> Daylight Time,
> W4EF@dellroy.com writes:
>
> > Warren, KE6LEA and I put together the flex-disc
> shock absorber
> >  scheme pictured below for the M^2 OR-2800 rotator
> at W6UE:
> >
> >  http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~w6ue/KT/OR-2800-1.jpg
>
>     Very nice installation. Here's some historical
> info:
>
> Plus: With the addition of a shock absorber like
> this, the rotator capacity
> can be increased by something like 20-30% since it
> decreases the torque
> forces on the rotator inner workings.
>
> Minus: Sometimes these torque forces tear the
> coupler apart and then you've
> got real problems. M2 introduced one for their Orion
> some years ago but no
> longer offer it because of problems. I don't think
> W6NL uses them anymore.
> YMMV.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve    K7LXC
> TOWER TECH -
> Professional tower services for commercial and
> amateur

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute