[Towertalk] Need Antenna Advice!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Need Antenna Advice!
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:57:17 -0500
Hi,

First step? To what end? Motorized booms and elements to achieve what?
Higher after-sale profits?

This all seems like a move to make antennas more complicated than they need
to be in a bid to increase margins and after-sale parts business. There are
some fine-performing antennas in the SteppIR's weight class that have no
moving parts and much less chance of failure. And that cost a lot less than
the SteppIR.

Perhaps the SteppIR extracts a little more gain, or a little more F/B. I
don't know. But knowing there's a limit to how far any 3-ele beam can be
pushed, I'm not sure it's worth the cost of increased price, increased
complexity and increased odds of failure.

If you like the SteppIR idea, fine. Buy one.

I don't mean to impugn the reputation of the company that builds the
SteppIR. I'm sure they are all fine, upstanding folk.

I just don't see the point.

73, kelly
ve4xt