[Towertalk] SteppIR Performance and misleading advertising

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] SteppIR Performance and misleading advertising
From: 00tlzivney@bsu.edu (Zivney, Terry L.)
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:54:04 -0500
Page 154, October 2002 QST:

"performs as predicted by YO and EZNEC within .25-.50 dB"

is patently unverifiable.  I have no problem with the ad
included a chart based on computer modeling but they have
no way of proving that their actual physical HF antenna
is within .25-.50 dB of the computer models, especially
since they give free space gains and I am quite certain
the manufacturer does NOT have a free space antenna
range.

Similarly, I am quite sure they have no way to confirm
that the actual conductor losses are .17 dB; rather the
model predicts losses of .17dB

Again, to summarize, the table is ok - but the
claimed accuracy puts them in the Gotham category
when it comes to accuracy in advertising.

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9