[Towertalk] Rebar Cage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rebar Cage
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:54:27 -0400
At 09:31 PM 9/19/02 +0000, kr7x@attbi.com wrote:
>Do not weld the rebar... unless it is ASTM A706 grade or
>you preheat the bars to 300 degrees F for #6 and smaller
>and 500 degrees F for #7 and larger. This is from the
>ANSI/AWS D1.4-98 Structural Welding Code - Reinforcing
>Steel. This code in included in all Building Codes in
>the US by citation.

Interesting, since the Polyphaser tech note just cited by another poster
specifically advocates using "an exothermic method" to bond the rebar
joints in a Ufer ground, to avoid the potential of sparking in the event of
a strike.  I had always understood that proper, thorough wiring of the
joints was sufficient, given the number of joints and the conductivity of
the concrete.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower