[Towertalk] Iis a "free" tower a good deal?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Iis a "free" tower a good deal?
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:27:39 -0500
Jeff,

A free tower is certainly better than buying a new one outright, but it ends
up being far from "free."

I just put up 50 feet of Rohn 25 plus a 3 foot top section.  The total cost
for all that was $75.00.  Close enough to free.

However, I needed the following:

Base plate - $65.00
Guy wire - $65.00
Guy Anchors - $60.00
Turnbuckles, misc hardware - $65.00 (scrounged from another ham)
Screws, nuts, cable clamps, etc. - Over $100 when all said and done.
Concrete - $100
Ground Rods - $25 so far (not close to having all that done).

Now, I have to add on additional coax, lightning arrestors, rotor cable,
climbing/safety gear, etc.

Putting up a tower will cost at least somewhere between $1000 and $2000.  I
didn't read your post in detail yet, but the type of tower really shouldn't
matter.

A free standing or crankup tower, won't need the guy wires and anchors, but
you'll need a bigger hole, more concrete, rebar, etc.  So it balances out.

Free towers are a great deal provided they are in good shape.  But you must
be prepared to pay all the miscellaneous costs you don't anticipate.  I
learned that after figuring how much I ended up spending on misc. stuff.

73,

Jon
NA9D