[Towertalk] Re: 40M add-ons

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: 40M add-ons
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 20:23:00 -0400
Julio,

Yes, I was contesting when the 20 meter/40 meter add-on trap blew up but
below 500 Watts in the shack.

However that is not the problem. When I opened and examined the 20 meter
traps, I was horrified. First off, there was too little space at the high
voltage end so they covered it with teflon tape to increase the breakdown
voltage. Next, the screws holding down the wire were apparently too high to
put the trap together so the assembler opted to GRIND the tops down on the
screws. He ground the complete top off the screw leaving only the threads
to hold the wire! Needless to say, with ware, temperature changes and
power, the joint began to get hot and eventually blew!

Need I explain any further why I don't recommend this add-on?

73,

Joe, W1JR