[Towertalk] From QRZ .. Tower Worker Injured

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] From QRZ .. Tower Worker Injured
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:01:04 -0600
This VERY ISSUE was addressed recently on TowerTalk.

It was STRONGLY recommended by myself and others to
ALWAYS use a set of TEMPORARY SAFETY GUYS when
removing an old tower.

NEVER  ASSUME the BASE is strong enough to support
an unguyed tower. An "experienced" tower worker should
know this.  That is why Rohn warns about the dangers of
tower removal which is when most tower injuries occur.

I hate to be blunt about someone who was injured, but
this was NOT an ACCIDENT.  It was a case of IGNORANCE
that resulted in serious INJURY.

This is one area where I fully support K7LXC's 'Prime Directive':

" Do what the manufacturer says", namely, install a set
of temporary safety guys when assembling or removing
any guyed tower.

Tom  N4KG

-
>       A Michigan Ham was seriously hurt in a tower fall.  The
> accident happened North of Lawton.  The climber involved was
> a long time  tower  climber and has a lot of experience.  Injuries
> are a broken jaw,  both arms  broken and one broken leg.
> Gary will make a full recovery after extensive rehab.
>
>       The accident involved the removal of a 160 foot tower.  The
> top 120 was removed without incident.  Daylight ran out and the
> next morning  Gary and his wife returned to the site.   The last 40
feet
> appeared to be  safe and work began on the remaining 40 feet.
> The base of the tower  broke and  the tower fell with Gary on board.
> The tower fell onto a pole barn  roof and
> Gary was crushed between the tower and the roof.
>
>       Gary is a well respected ham and is liked by everyone.   He is
> a hardworking individual and it is very unfortunate the something like
> this happened to him.  In the days to come I am sure your prayers and
> thoughts for Gary would be welcome.  Thanks for reading.
>
>       Allen Stap   N8OKU

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.