[Towertalk] 45G tower and your insurance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 45G tower and your insurance
From: w4pa@yahoo.com (Scott W4PA)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 08:32:23 -0700 (PDT)
>>Kris mentions:

>>""Yes, but for how much longer? Just because it can be done doesn't
>>mean it's safe or permanent by any means. If the tower fell, causing
>>measurable property insurance, would the insurance company be obliged
>>to pay, or would they have reason to balk at a claim?""

>Isn't it true that insurance is for *just* such issues? For example,
>car insurance pays (if you have Collision) if you as a driver, do
>something wrong, thus causing a crash.

>If insurance only paid out when things are RIGHT, there would be very
>little reason to purchase it.

>John wb5oau

This is stretching the limits of this topic, but I used to have this
exact same attitude about insurance until my house was seriously
damaged in a non-ham radio related incident in March 2002.

Your insurance company should be viewed as an adversary that will
take advantage of any opportunity to stick it to you.

Been there, done that.  I have spent a huge amount of my free time
and money this year fixing my house - I am at several thousand
dollars and hundreds of hours of labor over the last 6 months and
I have a lot of work and $ still left to go.

An opinion from a third party professional in the claims industry
was that even though I had a claim denied, that I would likely
win in court if I was willing to spend thousands of dollars in
legal fees to try and snag a $15,000 settlement.  Obviously, the
math doesn't work out too well there if I still have to fix the
damage (I do).

DO NOT take the attitude that insurance will help you.  I did this,
and I have learned a very hard lesson.  I WAS COVERED BY MY
INSURANCE - and I am paying out the nose in time and money after
my insurance company figured they could screw me.  They were right.

Scott Robbins, W4PA