[Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Cracked Leg on Rohn 45G
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 22:11:33 -0600
N4KG response inserted below.

On Tue, 08 Oct 2002 kb9cry@attbi.com writes:
> I am chemical engineer so don't bash me too much but the
> way I understand it, there are horizontal forces acting
> on a tower's base, albeit less than the vertical
> forces.  Imagine the tower being blown by the wind, the
> top of the tower will tilt toward the leeward side or
> away from the wind.  The bottom will want to kick out if
> it wasn't held fast.

This is valid for a tower with only ONE set of guys where
the guys act as a pivot point.  The force at the base will
be reduced by the ratio of the spacing between the guy
and the antenna and the guy and ground (say 3 or 4 to 1).

The tower in question has FOUR sets of guys at 20, 40,
60, and 75 ft.  My *assumption* is that there is very little
lateral force left at the BASE.  Can anyone PROVE me wrong?
(I don't have a clue how to resolve a 3 load 4 guy system either :-)

Tom  N4KG

 In high winds the guys will
> stretch, can't prevent it, and the tower will lean.
> This is why commercial folks use tapered bases, so that
> the leaning tower doesn't put undo compressive load
> acting down on the leg away from the wind.  Phil  KB9CRY

SNIP

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.