[Towertalk] choices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] choices
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 07:54:40 -0700
Hi Chuck,

As Tom Schiller N6BT wrote in his QST article two years ago, "Everything
Works," and he used a post-mounted light bulb as an example.  W6ISQ recently
reported (also in QST, just a month or two ago) working a contest using his
Cantenna dummy load sitting on the floor.  Everything does work, it's all a
matter of relativity.

I never judge an antenna by how much DX I can work with it; I judge it
against other antennas.  It pays to have multiple antennas, and a switch.  I
broke through a small pileup to work 9J2CA in Zambia on Sunday morning (20m
CW) using a 20" long "E-H" antenna mounted on a 4' PVC pipe on my roof
(stuck in a ventpipe).  He came right back to my 90W and 3/100ths wavelength
long antenna.  When I switched to the 6BTV with radials, signals both ways
improved more than 20 dB, and when I switched to my beam, signals improved
another 6 dB or so.  So, the E-H, which busted a pileup on 9J2 (I'm in Los
Angeles), is about 26 dB down from my regular 20m antenna.  But it certainly
works, and I was getting pileups calling ME, simply because I'm in
California and the Cal QSO Party was going on.  Obviously, everybody already
worked everybody, and I was a new signal...

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti