[Towertalk] Calculating guy distance for rotating towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Calculating guy distance for rotating towers
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:13:07 +0000
On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:22:19 -0700 kr7o@vhfdx.com writes:
> Ok, I must admit that my high school geometry/trig have not survived
> college parties, etc. but, I have a question that I don't ever
> remember
> seeing addressed on TT.
>
> I am looking for a formula to determine in advance how far my guy
> anchors
> need to be for a side mounted antenna at any given height to clear
> the
> guys.  Example, a 75' rotating tower with guy wires attached at 75'
> and an
> antenna with a turning radius of 25' at say 60'.

In your example, the antenna is 15 feet below the top guy.
Therefore the guy wire must extend at least 25' horizontally
(the turning radius) for every 15 feet of height (1.67 foot
horizontally for every one foot of height). Since the
tower is 75 feet high, the anchor point must be greater than
1.67 x 75, or 125' away from the base.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ