[Towertalk] 40M 4 Sq vs. 2 el Yagi at 70 ft

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 40M 4 Sq vs. 2 el Yagi at 70 ft
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:07:18 -0400
The equivalence is easier to explain with the centers high. But...

The ground reflection gain (or lack of it) normally quoted when
analyzing this situation is only really in play to the specified db
with a more or less flat ground to reflect off of for a ways out.
There are many terrain configurations that would effectively nullify
ground reflection at angles useful for DX, the bulk of reflection
being too high a takeoff angle to be of much use.

If one was in such a situation (taking away the ground reflection
advantage) and the centers of the vertical dipoles were high enough to
avoid heavy e-plane ground penetration loss, the two would play pretty
much alike.

73