[Towertalk] SteppIR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] SteppIR
From: ldennis@mediaone.net (L. Dennis Shapiro)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 04:31:13 -0800 (PST)
George,

I replaced my 5-year-old Force 12 C-3 with a 3el+6m
SteppIR about 3 months ago.  Although I have not had
the two antennas side by side, my impression is that
the SteppIR puts out a bigger signal on all bands.
This stands to reason because it has three working
elements on each band.

My first beam was an Amphenol/Mims Signal Squirter
(that will test your knowledge of ham history).  Other
beams I've used at other QTH's included Cushcraft
tribanders and a 10 el Tennadyne LPA.  Again--I have
had no side-by-side comparisons, but my sense is that
the SteppIR beats them all.

I like having essentially unity SWR on all
frequencies--and my linear likes it even better.  I'm
a dx chaser and being able to check the long path
without turning the antenna has been a major benefit.
During the recent CQWW test, quickly bouncing between
Europe/JA and Carribbean/SA was a great advantage.
The antenna takes about 3-4 seconds to reverse on 20m.
 From band to band it QSY's at 1.7MHz/second.

I use a computer logging program connected to the
radio and the SteppIR controller.  The antenna QSY's
with the radio--from frequency to frequency and from
band to band.  I have the antenna installed at a
summer QTH on an island.  When I leave I "nest" the
elements as an extra safeguard from lightning.

The SteppIR is on a crank-up tower alongside the house
that is usually nested for aesthetic reasons with the
plane of the antenna about 4 feet above the peak of
the roof, and about 30 feet above ground.  I notice a
small change in 20m SWR with the antenna beamed in the
direction of the house and hardly any effects on the
other bands.  Ability to work DX does not seem to be
different with the antenna up or down.

I believe that the turning circle is in the
manufacturers specs on their Web site.

Reports from DX stations often say that my signal is
the strongest/only stateside.  I find I'm able to
break into Eu pileups as never before--and what is
most interesting is that I find myself often running
for cover after a QSO since there is usually a flock
of stations calling ME.  That rarely happened before.

As far as the price is concerned--I forgot about the
cost as soon as I began to operate the antenna.  This
has opened a whole new dimension for me in Ham Radio
and I'm having more fun.

Botton line--it's good--really good.

73,

Dennis, W1UF