[Towertalk] Grips vs. Clamps (was Huh?!?)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Grips vs. Clamps (was Huh?!?)
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 09:03:21 EST
In a message dated 11/9/02 4:56:40 AM Pacific Standard Time, n4kg@juno.com
writes:

> I 're-form' the radius of the grips such that the sides of the U
>  are a snug fit in the grooves of the insulators.  I do this by
>  engaging a couple of turns near the painted stripes and tapping
>  the bottom of the U with a few whacks from a rubber mallot
>  while placing the side of the U on a piece of wood.
>
>  I KNOW, this is a violation of the 'Prime Directive'.  OTOH,
>  My oldest towers have been up over 25 years and the newest
>  approaching 10(?).  ALL have survived estimated 90 MPH winds
>  that took out dozens of 80 ft trees in my woods.

    There are two sets of painted cross-over marks on Preformed grips. The
first one (closest to the termination loop) is for normal thimble-type
installations. The second set is for installation with insulators; they
provide a better angle for situations where you have a bigger than normal
radius to go around like an insulator.

    Which set are you using with your insulators?

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -