[Towertalk] MFJ vs ROHN

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] MFJ vs ROHN
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:01:22 -0600
MFJ exists and continues to do well because they have a number of unique
products no one else has.  They offer a decent value for the price as well.
The quality is just OK.  It is good enough for ham use.  That is why they do
well.  They have successfully exploited the ham radio niche.

Rohn on the other hand is NOT a ham radio only company.  Most of Rohn's
business comes from commercial sales.  In fact, they probably make minimal
money off of hams as hams generally buy used tower sections.  We are
probably more of a nuisance to them than anything else.  So I doubt a
company like MFJ would even consider it.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 11/11/02 6:45 PM, Chris BONDE at ve7hcb@rac.ca wrote:

> At 06:26 PM 2002-11-11 -0500, you wrote:
>> Last time I looked, MFJ was doing pretty well, stock must be more than 12
>> cents a share. Apparently there are a large number of hams that are
>> buying... and keeping... MFJ products. I wonder how that can be... when
>> "everyone knows" their products are "(expletive deleted)". To enjoy the
>> success they obviously are, maybe they are doing something right? Jerry K3BZ
>
> This is exactly the question that I would ask.  Why have the other
> companies gone under and MFJ still keeps on a Tx?
> I just bought a 259 Ant analyzer as this was recomended to me by  ??? guess
> who s.
>
> Or are they the same as MS?
>
> If they were Ford with the problems Ford has, many people would still keep
> on a buying.  Remember that old joke?
>
> "Honey, I just bought YOU a Ford Pinto with Firestone tires?"  The new
> joke, "Bridgestone tires might cause a Fire  stone to buck and Bronco."
>
> Chris opr VE7HCB

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA