[Towertalk] LPDAs (vs. SteppIR vs. F12 XR5)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] LPDAs (vs. SteppIR vs. F12 XR5)
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:19:36 -0600
While the SteppIR does have a fixed 16 ft boom length,
that is NO WORSE than any of the popular 3L tribanders
such as the A3, TA33, TH3, HG Explorer on 14 ft booms
or the CL33 on an 18 ft boom.  The .35WL 'optimum' is
also a compromise between gain and F/B and is somewhat
forgiving.  One needs to go to 5 elements on a 0.75 WL boom
to realize a significant improvement over a good 3L Yagi.

On 10M, the SteppIR suffers from lower than optimum F/B.
On 20M, the gain is maybe 1 dB below a 24 ft boom.
These are NOT severe compromises for continuous coverage
from 14 to 30 MHz (actually 50 MHz where the compromises
are more severe).

The Force 12 XR5 is a VERY GOOD  5 Band antenna with
2 primary active elements on each band (10, 12, 15, 17, 20M)
and good bandwidth.

The Cushcraft X7 is another good triband Yagi on an 18 ft boom
utilizing a 4 element Log Cell DE and parasitic reflectors and
director with heavy duty construction at an attractive price.

Small LP antennas offer comparable gain and F/B over a
continuous spectrum from 14 through 30 MHz.

ANY of the above are  GOOD  CHOICES, allowing the consumer
to pick the best compromise for HIS situation.

We should be glad we have such nice choises available to us !

Tom  N4KG