[Towertalk] Loop Gain (was LPA designs)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Loop Gain (was LPA designs)
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 09:53:54 -0600
on 11/16/02 7:56 AM, n4kg@juno.com at n4kg@juno.com wrote:

> A Full Wavelength Loop DOES exhibit some gain
> over a dipole, varying from 0 to 2.7 dB, depending
> on the height / width ratio as documented in chapter 4
> of The W2PV Yagi Antenna Book.  For a Square Loop,
> the gain over a dipole is reported as 0.84 dB.

I'll agree.  I did some research myself and found this to be true.  If the
loops are are talking about are full wave as compared to half wave Yagis,
then yes, you'll get more gain.

The question is if you are electrically comparing apples and apples.

I just have to believe that if loops were soooo much better, that they would
be the dominant antenna in ham and commercial radio.  They just aren't.
They are harder to build and maintain.

73,

Jon
NA9D