[Towertalk] LPDAs...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] LPDAs...
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:46:22 -0800
> Steve,
>
> What about putting the whole " Variable Geometrie " in a protected
> environment, such as a  light air pressure. The envelop could be some kind
> of reenforced Mylar already used fot baloons........
> Make me think about those big Boeings equiped with Awacs Radar, that isn't
> science fiction.
> Quite sure there must be some twisted weird who thought about this before.
> Funny to have a flying saucer on top of the tower.
> Jos

        [Steve Katz]  Jos, when cost is no object, all sorts of things are
possible!  I worked on the AWACS program in the late 1970's and that was a
"cost plus" contract from USAF.  The more it cost to build, the more all the
contractors and subcontractors made on it.  I was extremely pleased to sell
semiconductors into that program (to G.E. in Utica, NY, who made the
transmitters at the time) for about $1900 each...similar to the ones you
might use in your own amps for about $2 each.  But better.  -WB2WIK/6