[Towertalk] quad v. yagi (my own emperical experience)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] quad v. yagi (my own emperical experience)
From: ke3q@msn.com (RICHARD BOYD)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:50:50 +0000
I was single band 15 some years back, had a nice run going to Europe
Saturday morning using 8/8 Telrex yagis (45' booms, 128/64'). The noise
started building 'til I couldn't copy the weak ones, which was about all
that was calling me at that point.

I also had a four-element Skylane quad at 70'.  Switched to it, the noise
went away and I was able to work all those weak ones.

My conclusion was that full wavelength closed loop antennas have a low noise
advantage, regardless of the debate over gain vs. yagis or performance at
low heights, etc.  A serious contester should consider having a quad for low
noise receive, even if he continues transmitting on the big stack.

Drawbacks:  mechanical -- cumbersome to build and put up and maintain,
especially on a guyed tower.  The next one(s) I put up will be on a self
supporting tower.  I have enough parts for 5/5 and have a 70' tower set
aside for this possible purpose.  Also helpful, 20' stepladder or
scaffolding to build them.

73

Rich Boyd

KE3Q/W3AO