[Towertalk] Max-comm tuner--stay away!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Max-comm tuner--stay away!
From: rudym@net-link.net (Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:05:20 -0500
This thing is a joke and its maker/seller ought to be locked up!  I went =
around and around with "Sonny" about a month ago.  He lies.

1st--he told me he learned QST was going to x-ray a unit so he =
fabricated up a dummy for them so they could not reveal his "secret".

The secret is a few resistors.  They are valued and arranged so as to =
give you a 50 ohm (or close) match on the ham bands.   My dummy load =
does that.

2nd--Sonny told me Pierre of SGC wanted to buy his company in the 80's.  =
Pierre told me he met Sonny once at a swap, but never was interested in =
buying the company.

3rd.  Sonny advertises he makes units for Icom.  I don't know if he =
does, but in the marine section of Icom, you can find mention of 2 of =
these "swamping resistor units".  I emailed Icom Tech Support who =
advised me to stick with an AH4 or SGC coupler instead of the swamping =
resistors.

Sonny even wanted me to come to Florida, sign a non-disclosure =
agreement, and he would show me the innards.  He would not send me a =
block diagram, let alone a schematic or a photograph of what it looked =
like inside.

The Max(imum) Con(job) does have a use however!  It would be good for =
use in a clandestine, low power, short range, frequency hopping =
application.  Not my favorite operating style!  50% or less efficiency =
can be had with about any dummy load with wires hooked to it!

Because I would hate to see people fall for Sonny's line of crap, I will =
not post any of his email to this site, nor give out his address or web =
site.

Believe what you read in the QST articles about this scam!  Think about =
it:  You can down load photos and schematics of just about all our ham =
gear, or find it, or get it from friends.  But not from Sonny!  If this =
thing worked, don't you think MFJ would have something similar?  For a =
lot less!

Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

multipart/alternative
  text/html