[Towertalk] Climbing Masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Climbing Masts
From: w0yk@msn.com (J. Edward (Ed) Muns)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:26:48 -0800
>     This is one of those high "pucker factor" tower maneuvers so
> be warned. I
> suggest that about 10% of hams can actually work at altitude and
> only 10% of
> those can climb masts so this is a pretty specialized technique.

I guess I'm in an even smaller group of hams.

I lost half an element on my 20 meter beam in Colorado 25 years ago.  The
antenna was at 120' just above the thrust bearing.  Unfortunately, the
broken element was about 9' out from the tower.  I asked my buddy W0UN what
was the easiest way to do the repair.  I was hoping he had some magic that
would avoid bringing the Yagi to the ground.  Without a pause, John said,
"Sure, just haul up a section of Rohn 25 and lock it's legs on the top rung
of your Rohn 45, parallel to the 20 meter boom and about 3' below it.  Run a
guy from the outer end of the Rohn 25 up to the mast and secure with a
U-bolt.  Double-tie your climbing belt onto the Rohn 45 and sit, straddling
the Rohm 25, sliding out to the damaged area and do your repair."

Well, I did this, relying on the high confidence I have in John and his vast
experience.  My wife took pictures and almost threw up.  I wasn't real
comfortable with the operation, but just didn't look down and concentrated
on my work.  It was actually a snap and when I was all done I called John to
let him know how well it worked.  He said, "Glad to hear it, now I know
another technique to use some day!"

73,
Ed - W0YK