[Towertalk] Fire, Electrical and other saftey codes

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Fire, Electrical and other saftey codes
From: vk2lee@maxnet.net.au (Lee Noonan)
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:20:37 +1100
The safety Laws in Australia have changed dramatically in the past few
years... and the reason... I believe because there are so many dim witted
people about... and don't know whats safe and whats not!!!
 Motorised push lawn mowers had stickers attached 6 years ago because some
one tried to LIFT his mower across his concrete path by placing His hands
under the deck,,, the rotating blades did the rest... and He sued .. as
there were NO instructions on the mower advising Users - NOT   to place
Hands under the deck with the engine running!!!  as the blades would cut all
Your fingers off....

About 20 years ago everything electrical in Australia had to be earthed ,
sorry grounded... and used PVC covered 3 core cable.. [the only exception
being lamps with 2 core, even the brass lamps, which I would never
touch ]...
 Now, Most items have only two core cable and the extra PVC outer covering
is no longer used....
Is 240V AC  No Longer Dangerous as it was 40 years ago....
I still earth anything with a metal case..... even Light fittings....
Double insulated - why Not triple???
IMHO    As far as Safety goes... I do whatever I think is necessary..... and
running antenna cables down the elevator shaft - can be safe- and probably
can be unsafe - depends entirely on the user-installer....
 If He thinks He can drop the cables down the elevator shaft   SAFELY  ---
He should do it--   I know I would   -
regardless of the rules in Arizona ,Texas , California or Australia....

Lee  VK2LEE
No flames please....