[Towertalk] Vee beams

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Vee beams
From: jimsmith@shaw.ca (Jim Smith)
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 23:05:16 -0800
If you can find it, the Eighth edition of the ARRL Antenna book (1956)
has about 5 pages on the Vee.  Seems to me that ARRL publishes a wire
antenna book but don't know if there is much on the Vee.  Maybe someone
could look at their copy and comment.

Here's another way to measure the apex angle of an existing Vee.  Stand
right under the apex with a GPS and mark that location.  Now stand right
under one of the wires at the far end and measure the bearing to the
apex location.  Do the same for the other wire.  The difference in
bearings is the angle of the apex as projected on the ground.  If the
Vee is horizontal, that's the apex angle.  If not, it isn't and you will
have to do a bit of trig or draughting to find the actual angle.
 Whether the error will make much actual difference is another issue.
 The same problem exists with the photographic method unless the camera
was pointing along a line perpendicular to the plane of the Vee.

73 de Jim Smith    VE7FO