[Towertalk] Ameritron RCS-4 and grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Ameritron RCS-4 and grounding
From: rhackler@mindspring.com (Roger Hackler)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:05:15 -0500
Greetings!

Has anyone come up with a scheme to make use of the RCS-4 and still have a
descent grounding situation?  Since the unit passes control voltages up the
coax from the control unit to the remote unit, I'm having a hard time
figuring out a way to provide descent protection.

My plan is to install a single point ground at the point my coax feeds into
the house (esentially a big copper plate that is inside the house, with
copper strap running to an 8' ground rod just outside the house).  The
ground rod outside of the house  is bonded (using 0ne-shots)to 3 other
ground rods 16 feet apart with #4 copper (nice to have friends in the
commercial electrical business that have extra wire!).  The groundrod
nearest my tower is mechanically bonded to the tower with aluminum wire
(which is aluminum).

I am planning 2 seperate runs of coax to the tower.  The VHF run to my
vertical and the run for my HF antennas.  Since there is no switching to
contend with on the VHF run, the plan is out of the shack to the ground
panel, through a polyphaser, burried the 50 feet to the tower, and up the
tower to the antenna.

The HF run with the RCS-4 is the one giving me fits.

Any ideas?

Thanks es 73!

de KN6RO

Roger Hackler