[Towertalk] Force 12 boom & element failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Force 12 boom & element failure
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 21:28:10 EST
In a message dated 12/4/02 5:23:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, RLVZ@aol.com
writes:

> Hopefully Force 12 will use heavier gauge aluminum on their elements and
>  booms one day.  As-is the standard Force 12 antenna is built for light
duty
>  service.

    Ah - the unidentified poster. I discourage anonymous posts - tnx.

    I'm not sure what your definition of "light duty service" means. Actually
all of the F12 antennas get run through K7NV's YagiStress program and they're
beefed up where necessary. There are typically 3 versions: standard - good up
to 80 MPH; D - good up to 100 MPH (and only a 10% upcharge - cheap insurance
if you ask me); and H (for Hurricane) - typically good to 140 MPH or so.

    After that BIG winter on the East Coast several years ago I helped man
the Dayton F12 booth. There were NO reports of failures that I heard of in
spite of the unbelievable snow and ice storm conditions that winter.

    The incidence of actual material failures in almost all antennas is so
small as to be of no statistical interest.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH