[Towertalk] Ground Rod Pounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Ground Rod Pounding
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:24:04 -0500
TT:

     I used a four-inch piece of 3/4 inch threaded iron pipe and a pipe cap
as my pounder for my twelve ground rods here.  After pounding in four or
five rods, I had to change the cap (it got pretty mangled, but better this
than the rod top.)  This also gave me a larger surface than the rod end to
pound on.  I put a piece of electrical tape around the rod at the bottom of
the pipe to prevent scuffing of the copper cladding when the pipe wiggles
around under the hammer blows.  (Next time I might use a smaller-diameter
pipe, or even wrap the rod top with insulation, etc. to stop the wiggling.)
None of the rods was deformed, and I could apply the Cadweld shots very
easily.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F