[Towertalk] Testing Equipment?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Testing Equipment?
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:56:38 -1000

> > When a manufacturer tests antennas on a range, what
> > equipment is used?   A field strength meter?........

>    The transmit antenna was a frequency cut dipole about
> 6 miles away........

Seems to me that with that set up,  the main "beam" of the
transmit antenna would be high in the sky,  way above
the "beam" of the rcv antenna under test.  Or do they
assume both beams will intersect up there somehow to
come together correctly???  Proper way to do a real,
out in the feild test of an antenna's radiation pattern,  would
be to have the rcv'ing gear up in a helicopter flying at just
the correct altitude to be at the correct height for the distance/
radiation angle calculation for the particular antenna under
test,  wouldn't it?

Just wondering...

73,  Jim  KH7M