[Towertalk] Help: LM-470 Cable problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Help: LM-470 Cable problem
From: k2xx@swva.net (Joe Giacobello, K2XX)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:31:27 -0500
We had a sudden windstorm late last night and I had to lower my LM-470.
 At about the 45 foot level, I noticed that the positive pull-down cable
had started to double wind and then come off the drum.  About one to two
turns of the pull-down cable wound around the shaft on the right side of
the drum that connects to the drive mechanism.  Currently, the pull-down
cable is very loose and there is no tension on it. Although  I have no
reason to suspect that the tower is bound up in any way, the tension on
the pull-up cable seems greater than usual and I am quite worried about
a catastrophic failure if I try to raise or lower the tower any further.
 I haven't even tried a quick on-off.  I wanted to consult with the list
first.

My questions are:

- Has anyone out there experienced this problem before and what did you
do about?

- Given the current condition, would it be expected that the pull-up
cable would have more tension than normal?

- I cannot get the section of pull-down cable that came off the drum
back on the drum.  However, it looks like that I can disconnect the end
of the pull-down cable that is attached to the drum (fastened onto drum
with bolt), manually wind it back on the drum and then reconnect the
end.  Assuming the tower is not bound in any way, does rewinding the
pull-down cable in this manner and the raising or lowering the tower in
the normal manner make sense?

73 and Happy Holidays!

Joe