[Towertalk] Knot tying help- defense

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knot tying help- defense
From: baycock@hiwaay.net (Bill Aycock, W4BSG)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:30:09 -0600
my defense--I really have nothing against the Scouts. In fact, I donated
one of my boats to a local Sea Scout troop. (in good, sea-worthy condition,
with sails and trailer, and NOT as a tax write-off).
By "display art", I meant that the learning, frequently, is toward passing
the Badge requirements, rather than a deeper level of skill. I know you
have seen many that go further, as I have, but the average Scout doesn't
have the exposure you gave those you knew.
Those you helped (as on a 45' sailboat!) and the ones who Spelunk and rock
climb, are the exception, not the general rule. Those GET the experience of
using their learning to a highly skilled level.
I did NOT intend to put the Scouts down, just to give an honest opinion
about a source of training.
Bill