[Towertalk] Tensile strengths of masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tensile strengths of masts
From: geoffrey@jeremy.mv.com (Geoff)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 18:10:12 -0500
Thanks all.
My query is not radio related so excuse the off topic.

The application is for supporting a 600 lb V8 engine on a stand. In this
case it would require building an adapter that would permit the engine to be
supported sideways from the exhaust ports.Yes, exhaust ports in the block, a
Ford flathead.

The flat plate will be plasma cut 3/8 or maybe 1/2 inch steel. It will have
a hole in the center to accept a 2" pipe or tube that will be welded and
gusseted.
Requirements to weld cast iron have been discussed and I for one have
suggested NOT trying to weld cast iron to steel plate.
Since several of us are planning to homebrew these adapters the strength of
the material is of prime importance.

Having played with the numbers several years ago when installing a 4el KLM
40M I thought I had the data handy. Not so.

So now I turn to this group of experts to try and bail me out!

Geoff.