[Towertalk] 20 Year-Old Tri-Ex LM-470D Telescoping Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 20 Year-Old Tri-Ex LM-470D Telescoping Tower
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 13:25:35 EST
In a message dated 12/25/02 10:10:58 AM Pacific Standard Time,
W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com writes:

> I have an opportunity to buy a 20-year-old Tri-Ex LM-470D, a 70 foot
>  telescoping tower.   The present owner replaced the cables about a year
>  ago... He did NOT use OEM cables; rather, he made the replacement cables
>  himself.  From the information that I've read on this reflector, it sounds
>  like a disaster-in-the-making.

    Not really. As long as there are good clamps or swages at the
terminations, it should be FB. Why do you think it's a "ditm"? The only red
flag to me would be if he used totally wrong (i.e. plastic coated or
wrong-sized) cables. For the most part, a cable's just a cable.

>  If I decide to buy his tower, I'd also have
>  to buy a new set of OEM cables, a new base to be embedded in concrete, and
>  possible a new rotor plate if the present one does not fit my rotor.

    Why would you have to buy new cables?

    You drill out the existing rotator plate. You must have a Yaesu?

>  There are several tower-people nearby that are able to give it a thorough
>  inspection.  Assuming a tower in safe, servicable condition, and
considering
>  the age of the tower and the additional hardware to be purchased, how much
>  might it be worth at this time?

    Whatever you're willing to pay for it. Several hundred?

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -