[Towertalk] 100M-long boom Yagi for 20M -- correction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 100M-long boom Yagi for 20M -- correction
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:19:20 -0500
At 07:49 AM 1/13/03 -0500, Zyg Skrobanski wrote:
>A 3DB beamwidth curtain, depending on the antenna location, can cover quite
>a chunk of Europe.  I don't think a contest station would be handicapped,
>in that regard, by using such an antenna system.  These arrays can also
>slew the beam as much as +/- 30°, for the elusive DX.  Of course for the
>complete super contest set up you would need separate curtains for Asia,
>South America etc.
>
>On the other hand, one could use the curtain array just as a receive
>antenna - great F/B and side-to-side ratios!;)

Yes, and 21+ dB (including ground reflection) is hard to come by any other
way.  I was thinking more in terms of a contester making the choice
between, say, 16 dBi from a long-boom yagi versus  the same gain from a
stack.  The stack would not only have a wider azimuth beamwidth but also a
wider elevation beamwidth.  Whether this extra width is "useful" is much
harder to test, or to prove...

73, Pete N4ZR
Are you up to date in the World HF Contest Station Database?  Go to
www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm and see for yourself