[Towertalk] Newbie Question!!!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Newbie Question!!!
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 06:43:39 -0600
on 1/16/03 5:49 AM, bltlawrence12@att.net at bltlawrence12@att.net wrote:

> I'm about to put up a 35 foot free standing tower(used). It base is 2ft by
> 2ft.
> what would be the best way to put it up? I'm a newbie at this stuff.

Hi Bill,

What's your call sign?

As a relative newbie to towers myself, a lot of the questions and answers
are still in my mind.

1.) What are you planning on using the tower for?

Thirty-five feet isn't a very tall tower.  In fact, if you have a two-story
home, it's possibly not much higher than the roof.  Many times, one can
install a roof tower instead and get better height for a lot less cost.

2.) Have you considered all the costs invovled?

Self standing towers need a LOT of concrete at the base.  Have you
considered that cost?  If I remember correctly, a 35 foot tower is probably
going to need something like a 3' x 3' x 6' base or something like that
(might be 5' deep - I don't know what tower you are planning on).  That's 2
cubic yards of cement.  Cement runs generally somewhere between $80 and $100
per yard depending on where you are at in the country (perhaps a little
cheaper)  Add to that a rebar cage and the cost to dig the hole (either
yourself of hiring someone).  So the base is a lot of work and money.  Not
trying to scare you, but just trying to let you know what you are in for.

Have you bought the tower or is it a freebie?  If you have not yet purchased
the tower, I would recommend possibly a taller tower as another 10 or 15'
won't cost that much more overall, but will be much better for you.

Either way, be prepared to spend at LEAST an additional $1000 on top of what
you've already spent.  This will include things like your cement, rebar,
hardware, safety equipment, etc.

3.) Do you need a permit or zoning variance?

This could be why you are at the 35' level.  I know some towns have a limit
like that.  Roof towers, however, don't necessarily fall under such limits
and you can get around it with a structure on your roof.  But if you've
looked into it and they are going to hold your feet to the fire at the 35'
level, I guess you don't have a lot of choice.

If you haven't looked into the municipal implications of your tower, you may
want to do so.  Talk to some other hams in your area.  You may be able to
put the tower up w/o a permit, but at least you'll know what your town or
village thinks.

4.) Do you have the hardware needed for working on a tower?

You need things like a safety harness, hardhats for the ground crew, life
lines, pulleys, etc.

----------

Now to actually put up a tower, it depends on the style.  Some towers have a
hinged base with a crank.  Others are fixed.  If yours is a fixed base you
would do the roughly the following steps:

1.) Set the concrete and the tower base.  Let cure for perhaps 5 days to a
week.

2.) Attach the first section of the tower.

3.) Climb the tower (USING SAFETY GEAR) with a gin pole and attach the gin
pole to the tower.  Hoist up the next section via the gin pole and attach
it.  You will need people on the ground to hoist the section up to you and
whoever is working with you.

4.) Repeat step 3 until the tower is assembled.

Are you familiar with what a gin pole is?  Do you have one or know where you
can get one?  They are VERY expensive (about $700 minimum) if you are going
to put up a single tower.  Again, some ham in your area probably has one.
Talk to them and find out.

What's your call sign?

I would really recommend talking to and getting the advice of local hams who
have towers.  They will be more than ready to help.

Read up on tower assembly in ARRL handbooks, etc.

Ask back here for more help too.

73,

Jon
NA9D