[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 2, Issue 38 - Rohn SSV Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 2, Issue 38 - Rohn SSV Tower
From: W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com (W1GOR)
Date: Sat Feb 15 18:53:20 2003
Bryan,

The Rohn SSV tower is self-supporting to 300 feet.   Since it is
self-supporting, the SSV is a tapered tower and is available in individual
sections, depending upon how high you want to go, and which SSV section you
wish to use as the base.   As one other 'tower-talker' mentioned, the SSV is
quite expensive, and may be super overkill for amateur radio applications.

I used SSV tower sections exclusively when I designed radio and microwave
systems for the Long Island Rail Road.   Believe it or not, loading is not
much of a problem for a Rohn SSV...  The railroad's towers were filled with
microwave dishes up to 12 feet in diameter, plus many, many VHF and UHF
verticals, generally Decibel Products PD-200 and PD-220 sticks, mounted
about 6 feet out from the tower on side-arms.  The microwave antennas are
fed with flexible waveguides (about 2 to 2-1/2 inches at the widest point).
All other antennas are fed with 7/8 inch Andrew Heliax.  Generally, the base
section (20 feet high) has a face dimension of around 15 feet.   The base
section is made of 5 inch tubular legs with cross-members of galvanized
angle steel 3 to
3-1/2 per side.   A typical SSV tower, depending on the individual sections
used, 150 feet tall will cost between $12,000 and $15,000, plus a crane and
crew to install it.   A 150 foot SSV requires three concrete piers, about 15
to 20 feet deep, and 3 feet in diameter...  Now THAT is a heck of a lot of
concrete, at around $75 to $100 per cubic yard...  The costs are referenced
to December 31, 1999, the last time I had SSV's installed at the railroad.
I retired the next day...!   My old buddies at the railroad have mentioned
that the towers show absolutely no wear at all... I expect that they will be
standing more than 50 years from now...

Go to the web page shown below, for more details.

http://www.rohnnet.com/rohnnet2001/catalog/Brochures/SSV-brochure.pdf

Economically, the Rohn 55 would be a better choice, if you have the space
for a proper guy system...

73, Larry - W1GOR