[TowerTalk] Digging the hole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Digging the hole
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu Feb 20 11:06:38 2003
I think it's impossible to estimate without knowing the soil, and if the
conditions you describe remain constant all the way down to six feet.

In standard undisturbed earth, a 4x4x6' hole takes one person with a shovel
and a wheelbarrow (to haul away the dirt) about a full day to dig.  It goes
a lot faster with two people.  It goes a lot slower if there are lots of
heavy rocks involved!

It goes really slowly as you get deeper, since you'll be climbing in and out
of the hole a lot, unless you're Yao Ming (7'6" center for the Houston
Rockets).  But if you are Yao Ming, you'd probably want to make it more like
6'x6'x6', so you'll have room to bend your elbows!

WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill