[TowerTalk] Clever Solution for moving a tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Clever Solution for moving a tower
From: ke3q@msn.com (RICHARD BOYD)
Date: Wed Feb 26 10:50:26 2003
That shouldn't be too heavy or long for a sturdy ladder rack on a fullsize
pickup truck.
4-6 men ought to be able to load it.  Maybe the seller will help load and
has a couple friends or neighbors who will help load.

If you don't have one, maybe this is a good time for you to buy that pickup
truck you've always wanted!  (hi)  The sturdiest ladder racks and best for
ham hauling purposes are the ones that also go over the cab.  Alternatively,
there are gutter-mount devices you can add to the cab top to give a
farther-forward support in addition to the regular ladder racks that are
over the bed.  Ladder racks that attach to your fiberglass cap over the bed
are less strong and could break the cap.  The strongest mount to the sides
of the truck, not the cap.

Alternative that I've done before to load something like this single handed:
Disconnect the crankup cable and take the sections apart, loading them one
at a time.
By lifting just one end of a long tower section at a time you get a
mechanical advantage
(leverage) and it's a lot easier than a "dead lift."  It's a hassle to
disconnect the cable
and then reconnect it again when you reinstall, but it does make the loading
and hauling part do-able.

Another alternative:  Hire someone with a rollback truck (e.g. Jerrdan) to
transport it.  They can
load it and transport it both.  They typically charge by the mile.  One
near-neighbor of mine has
been quite reasonable on various hauling jobs for me.

73 - Rich, KE3Q