[TowerTalk] Tower Bases

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Bases
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 10:13:59 2003
In a message dated 2/27/03 2:48:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
contesting@eircom.net writes:

>  The idea is: Instead of the usual cube of concrete, how about using a
>  horizontal cross. Maybe 2 feet deep, and 2-3 feet wide, with an internal
>  rebar cage to prevent snapping. The length of each arm of the cross to be
>  determined by whatever formulas you guys use - I was thinking along the 12
>  foot mark, as a discussion-opener.

You would have to use steel frame, not just rebar.
Figure out the volume and yoou will see that you are not gaining much in
digging.
In areas with frost, bad idea. You have to get below frost line.
The weight and momentum from the base would have to support the tower in the
extreme situation assuming the base is like sitting on the top, or worse if
you get earth soaked by rains.
If it was a great idea it would have been used all over :-)
If you were sitting on the rock, then you could just drill the holes for
anchor rods and cement them in.
Better fugettaboutit :-(

Yuri, K3BU