[TowerTalk] Heights

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Heights
From: n8de@thepoint.net (Don Havlicek)
Date: Fri Mar 28 09:04:56 2003
Tom,
This may have been addressed before on the reflector.
What you have is elongation of the bolt holes in the tower.
PLEASE, for you own safety, take down the tower and inspect ALL the bolt
holes, especially those INNER holes which are hidden from view.
I am certain that you will discover they are no longer ROUND, but
elongated, making for an UNSAFE condition.
Tightening the bolts will NOT improve the safety factor much, as the tower
will still be slipping in the joints due to that elongation.
How to eliminate the problem?  IMHO, you must place another bolt at each
joint where elongation has occurred, perhaps above, below, or between the
present bolts.
Good Luck
Don
N8DE