[TowerTalk] baloon supported wire verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] baloon supported wire verticals
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Fri Apr 4 10:58:20 2003
Mirko,

I've used He-filled WX balloons several times.  They work great on a very
calm day (no wind), and not so great when it gets windy.

The problem with "guying" of any sort is that any horizontal thrust (wind)
becomes downward thrust (lowering the balloon, and the antenna) due to
vector summing.  So, guying just doesn't work.

What does work better is a "kiteoon."  A kiteoon is a combination kite and
He-filled balloon.  Wind creates vertical lift, like with a kite.  In the
absence of wind, the He-filled balloon creates the lift.  So, under all
cases, the item stays aloft, and the antenna wire taut.  Kiteoons here in
the U.S. are very popular, flying over automobile dealerships and such to
advertise sales and help interested customers from a mile or two away find
the location of the sale.  As such, I've been able to buy them from the
"sign and banner" companies who sell them to the car dealerships.

WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill