[TowerTalk] Painting fiberglass antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Painting fiberglass antennas
From: jimlux@earthlink.net (Jim Lux)
Date: Sun Apr 13 19:48:16 2003
Black paint often uses carbon black as a pigment. Carbon black, being
conductive, makes a fine absorber, although, depending on density and
thickness it may or may not have a significant effect.  Likewise, white
paint usually uses Titanium Dioxide as a pigment (so do most other
reasonably bright colored paints, TiO2 is also added to improve "covering
power") TiO2 has a fairly high dielectric constant, and so, can alter the EM
properties of objects it covers (like covering in plastic, except worse).

Ideally, one designs the radome so that these effects are minimized, either
by careful selection of materials, or by careful design (for instance,
honeycombs that are 1/4 wavelength thick).

Jim, W6RMK