[TowerTalk] Used Tower, Junk or Good find?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Used Tower, Junk or Good find?
From: BobbyTrip@aol.com (BobbyTrip@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 21:36:36 2003
OK guys, never had a tower (or beam for that matter) and am finally moving
toward that goal after all these years.  I have the used Cushcraft ATB-34 4
element tri-bander and picked up a used tower today.  Is the tower I bought
junk?  $158.05 and here are the details:

5 galvanized sections, 10 feet each overall, 9' 8.5" when mated to each
other.  Triangular shape, 5/16" O.D. "Z" bracing (horizontal across and then
angle down to horizontal across, etc...), 12.5" from tube outside to tube
outside on a side, 1.25" diameter.  Two holes in each leg for bolting to the
next section, top is 1/4" bolt, 5/16" bolt on bottom.

Details on top section (6th section):

18" tube for antenna mounting, 2" O.D., 1.875"  I.D. with two bushings top
and bottom reducing to 1.25".  Maybe knock out the bushings to accomodate a
decent size mast.  No rotator plate (but want/need one for HD-73 rotator).

I have hopes to put the lower 2-3' of the bottom section in concrete, and use
one set of guys? (at what height?) for about 57' total height and the ATB-34
on top.  Any advice or pointing to guying information/tutorial would be
appreciated.

So, is this Rohn 25G? 20G? Some cheap TV grade thing?  Can I use it for the
ATB-34 with proper support?  How to tell 20G from 25G? (information looks the
same from what I could tell).

Where to get accessories?  Rotator plate?  Guys clamp?  Thrust bearing?
Etc...?

Thanks and 73,

Bob, WA2T