[TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guyed self-supporters
From: ve7in-earl@shaw.ca (Earl Dery)
Date: Fri Apr 18 18:18:19 2003
There is an example for self-supporting tower being guyed, which probably
means if you plan on going over the specified top load guying would be the
thing to do.

Here in Canada a company back east called Delhi manufactures  a line of
towers called their DMX series.

The one I and many others have used is the DMXHD 48 foot.  This tower
according to the manufacturer will support 9 square feet self supporting,
if you decided to add in straight sections then guying is suggested and guy
stations are provided if you don't want to make up your own.

I think as with all questions like this it depends on comfort factor. I
would have no problem putting 50 feet of Rohn 55 series free standing with
appropriate amount of concrete in the base ie: as with any other free
standing tower.
I believe this would support any of the tri-banders without any problems,
of course this is not a "manufactures recommended" practice.

Also to be fair to Steve he is in the business of installing towers, due to
liability issues he really can't make any recommendation that he may
privately feel would probably be OK, following the manufactures
recommendation is usually the prudent path.

73 Earl VE7IN