[TowerTalk] Fw: ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: ground
From: vfair@innova.net (Van Fair)
Date: Fri Apr 18 23:01:31 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: Van Fair
To: towertalk-request@contesting.com
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 11:16 AM
Subject: ground

The power company in my area offers a whole house surge protection system which
mounts behind the meter for $5 per month. I recently had it installed in my
home. They installed a new meter ground rod which changed my ground from 150
ohms to 65 ohms. In talking to the installer I told him about my ground at the
tower which measured 120 ohms and the ground at my rig which measured 195 ohms.
 Since I have 3 ground systems There is potential for a problem.

The tower grounds and the rig grounds are connected via the 5 coax shields
which are all grounded to the rod at the base of the tower. . All the rig and
tuner grounds go to one point on the operating table and from there 10 feet to
another  10 ft  ground rod.  The rigs are also grounded through the AC cords to
the house ground.  Question? Should I tie my central ground point on the
operating table to the house ground via the ground on the 240 volt  plug.  Do I
have a potential problem. Suggestions.

By the way the power company used a chemical welding device called a oneshot
GR1161G to weld the ground wire to the ground rod. Its a small ceramic tube
which fits over the rod and burns gunpowder and a starter to develop heat to
make the weld. A neat little device. He also used a 120 volt device like a big
drill which drove the rod in the ground in 30 seconds. NEAT.